Mediterranean cuisine is known around the world for the variety of its food.
It´s also recommended for its properties and health benefits, helping to balance our organism with the combination of fruit and vegetables in our daily lives.
Why is the Mediterranean diet recommended?
First of all, by Mediterranean diet we mean not only the Spanish food or diet, but also the variety of recipes and foods that make it up, as well as the way they are integrated and cooked, and which we also find in Italy, Greece and even Morocco or Turkey.
In general, the most common ingredients found in Mediterranean cuisine are olive oil, fish and meat, vegetables, fruit as well as wheat and flour.
The combination of all of them results in one of the most balanced and healthy diets for our organism.
What are the benefits of Mediterranean cuisine?
The Mediterranean diet is associated with a better physical condition, and prevents cardiovascular diseases as well as oxidation, premature ageing, cancer, and is even able to remedy depression.
People who follow this type of diet show a lower rate of obesity. In addition, it helps to balance blood sugar, cholesterol and triglyceride levels so that the risk of developing heart disease and other health problems is lower.
Here are some tips so that you can easily integrate the Mediterranean diet into your daily routine:
- Eating fruit on a daily basis is one of the pillars of the Mediterranean diet. It is also important to avoid drinking bottled juices because of their high sugar content.
- Including fresh or cooked vegetables in every meal as a side dish is very beneficial. Most vegetables can be steamed while maintaining even more of their benefits and nutrients.
- It´s highly recommended to increase fish consumption as much as possible to 2-3 times a week.
- Olive oil helps to regulate cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. Therefore, when cooking, it is preferable to use olive oil rather than butter.
- Avoid foods with added sugar, such as soft drinks or drinks with artificial sweeteners like processed juices.
- As with fruit, pulses should be integrated into our diet as much as you can and, if possible, in greater quantities than meat.
Apart from all this, breakfast is the most important meal of the day as it provides us with the energy we need for the whole morning.
It is important not to leave home without breakfast. A good breakfast should include milk, fruit (which can also be eaten as juice as long as it is prepared at home), toast and oil, and may include eggs as long as they are not fried.
Now you have the basics of a Mediterranean diet and cuisine, are you ready to start?