Skip to main content

Due to the introduction of money laundering regulations it has become compulsory for all foreigners who carry out any transaction in connection with property to produce their NIE numbers at completion.

In the past, the system was more flexible and it was usual for someone to buy a property without having obtained the NIE. At present, if you wish to buy, to sell or even to inherit any property in Spain, you must show your NIE number.

The NIE number (Número de Identidad de Extranjero) is a tax number assigned by the Home Office (Ministerio del Interior) to any foreign person who owns properties or interests in Spain.

It is compulsory and permanent, meaning that it will not change along the years even though you sell your present property and buy another one or even if you do not buy anything for many years to come.
To obtain this number the owner must present the application in person either at the Police Station where the property is located or at their nearest Spanish Consulate at home.

Each Police Station has their own way of functioning so it’s worth asking your solicitor to find out about office hours, scheduled appointments, and necessary documentation. At MAM Solicitors we can assist you in obtaining your NIE number, so please don’t hesitate to contact us.

EU citizens

Since April 2007, the need to obtain a residence card for nationals of a European Union Member State has been suppressed. That card has been replaced with a certificate that provides evidence of being inscribed in the corresponding Foreigner’s Central Registry. Unlike the old residence cards this certificate is not an identification document so you still need your passport to identify yourself. The certificate has no expiry date and you must apply for it within 3 months of entry in Spain if you wish to reside in this country for more than 3 months.

The procedure must be carried out in person, it is not allowed to use a representative. The certificate is obtained from the National Police Quarters corresponding to your home address.

Go to Mortgage Expenses