Skip to main content

The first thing a vendor must do is to ensure what is the legal situation of his property. It is more frequent that you could imagine that a vendor is not aware that his property is not properly registered under his name or there are outstanding holds (embargos, mortgages) that were not properly cancelled at the purchase.

Among all the particular situations to take into consideration we could list the following:

It is necessary to check that the house is indeed registered under the vendor’s name. If that is not the case it is imperative to localize the original purchase deed ensure it is indeed properly registered. Alternatively, you might have inherited the property but it is still registered in the deceased person’s name, in this case you need to do the previous inheritance procedure in order to place the house under your name.

It is necessary to check the situation of the holds and embargos of the house:

  • If those are known or belong to you, then we have to organize its cancellation on completion, for instance the cancelation of the mortgage contracted to buy the house or an embargo form the council or the community of owners if you have not paid the local rates or the community fees.
  • If those are unknown and do not belong to you (for instance, the previous mortgage forms your previous vendor that was not properly cancelled when you purchased the house) then it is imperative to know why it was not done on its time and localize the proper documentation to arrange the cancelation of such holds at the land registry.

One important issue as well is to check that the description of the property at the land registry matches with the cadaster and the reality, especially in rustic properties or detached villas.

The situation is this: since you purchased you have built extra constructions at your property (with or without the proper permits or community authorization on its case), for instance a swimming pool, a storage room, closed the terrace, extra rooms, etc… but you never made the proper registration of such constructions at the cadaster or the Land registry.

In this case it will be necessary to regularize the situation and make the necessary Deed of Declaration of New Building (if you have the legal documentation) or the Declaration of New building by antiquity (if you built it without the proper permits).

It is important to indicate that not all constructions can be regularized by antiquity so it will be necessary to study the situation to see if it can be regularized or not and the implications towards the sale.

Go to Putting the house on sale

In general lines all these considerations must be taken into account BEFORE placing the house on sale, as some of them might take some time or depend on third documentation that could delay the sale and it is not recommended to agree a sale date if you are not 100% sure that all documentation will be ready on time.